I Hate SOPA

Alex Holden, Reporter
March 2, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

It is great that teens are getting into politics, because it will affect them everyday.  What seems to be the case all too often is that teens are quick to speak their mind, but slow to learn about what they are talking about.

During late October, House Bill 3261 or the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) was introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives. It was a bill introduced to help fight online piracy and copyright infringement.

PROTECT IP Act (Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act) was also introduced, which is the main reason people got upset on Facebook and Twitter due to its vague legal restraints of the Internet.

A lot of people at  school and on Facebook were getting very angry for hallucinatory reasons. When asking students what they though of SOPA and PIPA, they gave reasons like “It would shut down the Internet” and “Google, Facebook, and Youtube would be shut down.”

“The intentions were great, but the Internet is a great tool to learn about stuff. Anytime congress limits or censors the Internet, they are limiting free speech,” junior Alex Heilman said. “ After the 30,000 phone calls from youth in America came flooding in, many congressmen changed their minds. It disgusts me that when they [The congressmen] don’t know how to check their email, but they try to pass legislation to limit it.”

Google would be unreasonably held accountable for its users, but would not be shut down. Facebook would have to be altered, but not shut down.

There is some truth in people’s claims, but most is simply exaggerated. Their opinion has most likely been learned through a different source other than the original bill.

People get into headline politics because it is in the headlines, and they start to talk before they are aware of the legislation.

Like I said before, it’s amazing that students and teens are getting into politics. They should just be more cautious to learn from primary sources instead of secondary sources and word of mouth. Out of that, someone can form his or her own opinion more credibly.

Instead of following politics to be in on the conversation, be in on the conversation because it will affect your everyday life.

Comments